Mar 03, 2015, 08:45PM
    I believe Walker didn't mess with police and firefighter unions. They're not weakened. The real issue is that Walker has this huge stash of money, millions and millions of dollars, which he won't let the schools have because he's a big meanie.
    Mar 03, 2015, 05:37PM
    I'm late to the Mookie bandwagon, but I'd give him the nod right now. Hard to get rid of Vic until Castillo shows that he can hit major league pitching (I'm hopeful but who knows?).
    Mar 03, 2015, 02:58PM
    Giraldo was my all time favorite.
    Mar 02, 2015, 03:33PM
    A. I never said his reforms were nothing. B.The changes in union policy has coincided with a decline in school performance (teachers union busted), higher crime reported in major cities (weakened police unions) and major issue with the firefighters (union laws also weakened for this category) I'm not claiming a causation here but there certainly is a high correlation. So please, tell me what reforms he has made that have improved Wisconsin and try to support with evidence. Otherwise I'll stick with calling him the Midwestern version of Christie. P.S. I love union busting. I just don't endorse it when there is no follow up policy to effect positive transition. Busting teacher unions and then leaving the schools to fend for themselves helps no one as is evidenced in Wisconsin
    Mar 02, 2015, 02:34PM
    So the union reforms he has led there are nothing? The state of Wisconsin is still not in the best of shape for sure, but he has had 4 years to reverse the policies of many liberal governors. The changes in union policy and the way public employees are dealt with, if left in place, will make the economic future much brighter in Wisconsin. It's ok to think he's not a viable candidate for President - he may in fact turn out not to be. But don't downplay what's he has been able to do under very difficult circumstances.
    Mar 02, 2015, 02:29PM
    Blah, blah, blah. Unless Mookie flops or gets injured in ST, he should play every day. Love the Flyin' H, for 2013, and his superb defense, but it's Mookie's turn. If Vic doesn't injured, I hope Cherington flips him.
    Mar 02, 2015, 02:09PM
    Which reforms are you referring to? Wisconsin is in the lowest quartile for many of the objective measures when compared to other state recoveries. In fact, Walker is a lot like Christie. He gets a lot of credit and praise until people actually look at the state of the state.
    Mar 02, 2015, 01:42PM
    What is any governor of any midwestern state expected to have accomplished outside his state up to now? He has made many conservative reforms in Wisconsin that will have a dramatic and positive impact on the state for years to come. And you have to remember-there is nothing in the political makeup of Wisconsin that would give any Republican a reason to think it was possible to win 3 elections in 4 years, much less with the huge national union attention the race got. Texan, you may end up being right about Walker, but it's way too early to count him out yet.
    Mar 02, 2015, 12:40PM
    I'm not a Pence fan myself just think he is playing a smarter long term game for presidency than Walker. Last election, everyone who ran early had a short time as the leader then got knocked out by their own over-exposure/stupidity. Perry, Santorum, Newt, Bachman, Trump, etc. Why anyone thinks Walker is different is beyond me. He compares handling ISIS to teacher unions. He won't say if he believes in evolution. His job creation record is horrendous (even by his own set of standards) His lack of higher education is cute now but will destroy him later if he is still around and he is taking on his state's beloved Packers which will destroy his home polling. He has no policy positions because he has never had policy positions, just anti-union rhetoric and other bromides of the conservative wing. Other than winning a few elections that were low-turnout affairs (far from a de facto national race), what has he accomplished that makes you think he can last another 1.75 years under the microscope considering his rough start? I can't wait to hear his position on vaccines
    Mar 02, 2015, 11:23AM
    Tex: are you related to Pence? That's been your drumbeat for almost a year. He's not running. And any thoughts of late candidates entering the race can be dashed: it's not 1968. I don't agree with Walker on everything, certainly, and he may flame out, but he's no Rick Perry or Pawlenty. Sure, he got a lot of out of state money in his 2012 recall election and reelection last year. But his opponents did as well. The recall was a de facto national race, which is why he's decently vetted.
    Mar 02, 2015, 09:53AM
    Walker is toast. He has peeked too early and is an empty suit. His only claim to fame (as opposed to infamy) is winning a few elections in a small state. He was grossly over-funded by outside groups and barely won even thought he had over 2:1 $ advantage. My dark horse money is split between Romney and Pence. They just both need to lay low until the race truly begins. Look at what happened to Repubs in 2012 when they started running in late 10/early 11
    Mar 01, 2015, 11:12PM
    Yeah. 'cuz true Americans have no problem with death threats toward his kids and a threat to gut his wife like a deer. I believe he was making the point that he won and they lost. The techniques may be different, but he was neither panicked nor did he acquiesce.