- WritingDec 09, 2013, 09:28AM
Deconstructing the supernatural.
- WritingDec 05, 2013, 02:05PM
A salty aquarium docent talks and talks until he’s booted away.
- WritingDec 03, 2013, 07:44AM
The disappearance of penmanship.
- WritingNov 29, 2013, 12:16PM
Give job or we cry.
- WritingNov 26, 2013, 11:37AM
A sort of Thanksgiving story.
- WritingNov 25, 2013, 03:25PM
The act of transformation.
- WritingNov 21, 2013, 10:27AM
Nixon’s combination of bad luck and bad strategy doomed him.
- WritingNov 20, 2013, 08:43AM
On excessive celebration.
- WritingNov 18, 2013, 08:14AM
Fiction: They kept the creature alive simply to feed off its parts.
- WritingNov 16, 2013, 02:17PM
Dave Eggers' The Circle is an elegant and sly critique of the world we’re headed for.
- WritingNov 15, 2013, 01:05PM
- WritingNov 11, 2013, 09:56AM
My life and hard times.
- WritingDec 11, 2013, 06:20AM
Fiction: A philosophy of sex and character from 80 years ago.
- WritingDec 10, 2013, 07:30AM
One take on the meaning of late-year holidays.
- WritingDec 09, 2013, 07:02AM
Late gifts from the North Pole.
- WritingDec 06, 2013, 01:42PM
A well-worn accessory drifts into nostalgia.
- WritingDec 05, 2013, 05:31AM
Will they be okay for winter?
- WritingDec 02, 2013, 07:23AM
Successful transitions by women from web to print.
- WritingNov 29, 2013, 06:58AM
Fiction: A life lesson about creativity at film school.
- WritingNov 25, 2013, 06:00AM
But I need to get home for the bus, officer.
- WritingNov 21, 2013, 07:11AM
God help me on the day this secret group doesn't meet anymore.
- WritingDec 03, 2013, 10:21AM
The deadline for our autobiography/memoir competition has passed, and we thank everyone who participated. Judging is underway, and the winners will be announced on Dec. 18.
- WritingOct 17, 2013, 11:46AM
Top Prize: $1,000
Tell us about your life in less than 5000 words. An autobiography or memoir that might encompass just one year, or day, or the whole shebang. Read the rules after the jump.
- WritingSep 10, 2013, 01:14PM
- WritingJun 11, 2013, 12:33PM
- WritingApr 25, 2013, 10:19AM
"I sort through the entries after the deadline, in an attempt to try to minimize any bias toward entries that arrive early (or late), but I can't help but look at most of them as they come in. One really caught my eye, and even after looking at hundreds of other entries, it still stood out. Here it is..."
- WritingApr 04, 2013, 06:39AM
The classic, sci-fi magazine has digitized all 224 of its print issues, dating back to 1979. Be sure to check out issues 100 and 200, featuring interviews with notable sci-fi artists, including John Carpenter, George Lucas, William Gibson and Terry Gilliam. Check out the archive here. Via Metafilter.
- WritingJan 21, 2013, 05:38AM
- WritingDec 17, 2012, 07:53AM
- WritingDec 03, 2012, 11:23AM
Journalist Kevin Sites profiling the lives of eleven soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan in his upcoming book, The Things They Cannot Say, out late January 2013. Below, a trailer. Much more at Sites' official YouTube.
You must be signed in to send an article via email.