Sep 30, 2014, 07:54PM
    Agree with you about fact every generation faces unique set of problems. But Christ, you're a nasty person. His article was well-written, no matter his opinions, and what the hell is up with the "Adult-Diaper Salesperson" weak insult?
    Sep 30, 2014, 06:48AM
    Last weekend as I drove my Boomer parents through coastal NJ I pointed out the vast dead-tree forest swamps and talked about climate change and they made fun of my "chicken little" concerns. As an Xer I agree with all your points and would add disease to the list. Great piece.
    Sep 29, 2014, 05:53PM
    Good piece Nicky but in defense of Generation X here, I have to tell you that back in "my day" as a young person in the 70s and 80s we worried about exactly the same things you guys worry about now. I did not think there would be a year 2000. I thought for sure there would be nuclear war, world starvation, and the world would be set afire by global warming already. That it hasn't happened yet shocks the hell out of me. But my parents, baby boomers born in the mid-40s worried about the same things in the 1960s. SAME THINGS. I encourage people to take the time to listen to old radio broadcasts from the 50s, 60s and 70s, you will find that the news media covers exactly the same things they cover now. I was listening to radio broadcasts caught on reel-to-reel of the old CBS Radio Mystery Theatre shows aired from 1974-81. The news broadcasts were nearly identical in topic, just different names/places. Terrorism, murders, rape, robbery, climate change, political corruption, education, the economy...it was all there. As it was for my parents too... It's all relative. My guess is millennials will see 2100 and the generation born after them will gripe about the same things we all did at the very same age.
    Sep 29, 2014, 04:39PM
    One of my fav's from Woodstock too. Saw Arlo about 5 years ago. He's still fun.
    Sep 29, 2014, 04:10PM
    Nicky Smith seems to want to confirm everyone's impression that not only are Millenials lazy, self-important, ignorant of history, and constantly whining about the essential 'unfairness' of the world by providing a historically-obtuse argument that tries to claim that "End of the Worldism" is somehow 'more popular today than in the 1980s'. Because, you know, there was no such thing as *imminent nuclear war* back then, or AIDS decimating the population... or environmental concerns? No, there was no "Vanishing Ozone Layer" or "Acid Rain" either... ..the entire posture is the epitome of exaggerated ignorance. The reason Generation X doesnt give a shit about your complaints is because *we already lived through the same stuff*, and know that its all so much contrived navel-gazing bullshit. This is all looking past the more-scientific reality that a) the environment has been getting FAR BETTER for the last 30 years without anyone doing @#($*-all about it, and that the likelihood of Nuclear War is basically gone forever. Nicky Smith needs to quit pretending to be a 'writer' and get into their true calling as an Adult-Diaper Salesperson.
    Sep 29, 2014, 03:20PM
    This was hilarious. I enjoyed learning that Bumgarner grew up in a log house. He does have a mystical sort of poise on the mound. Volquez and Bumgarner are sort of polar opposites. Volquez is so wild that even the Padres gave up on him. Bumgarner only knows how to throw strikes. Hooray for the chaos of the wild-card game.
    Sep 29, 2014, 03:17PM
    I started to worry about 15 years ago when I saw that manufacturing of hard goods had been replaced by manufacturing of documents. The natural world will probably survive for a while. As for the wusses, lack of jobs magnifies the problem.
    Sep 29, 2014, 02:20PM
    Your " consensus in the scientific community that climate change is at too advanced a stage to stall, and its effects will be irreversible and make coastal cities uninhabitable very, very soon" is complete B.S. Nicky. First of all, few if any reputable scientists make that claim. Secondly, scientists by their very nature believe that humans can overcome most if not all future calamities. Humans are like roaches, fragile individually but almost impossible to eradicate as a species. Even paleontologists debate whether dinosaurs were around post Permian/Triassic extinction. If they could survive such an event, humans and their coastal cities will survive another 100 years. Gotta admit that Generation Wuss seems to apply.
    Sep 29, 2014, 10:43AM
    LOVE that song
    Sep 28, 2014, 08:33AM
    So I must retract my first statement.
    Sep 28, 2014, 08:31AM
    Tweedy: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert was really good. I don't know what you are talking about man. You have to realize that he is a songwriter with a style. He writes smart pop tunes with edge. I still love Tweedy.
    Sep 28, 2014, 08:17AM
    I totally agree. His new video with his son is basically a ripoff of Todd Rundgren's video done in 1974 called an Elpee's Worth of Tunes. Tweedy looks fat to. Probably depression.