Aug 29, 2016, 07:26PM
    Let me clarify "We use to tell people look for the "c' shapes then the fakes started creating fake sea glass with "c" shapes" Many of us would advise people to look for the "c" shapes and also tell them "but not all sea glass has them" You point out the feel of the sea glass. That is a really good point.Often the feel will tell you everything!
    Aug 29, 2016, 07:04PM
    It is not unusual for heavily frosted sea glass from any region to sparkle in the sunlight. This could be confused for the glint by some. To my eye Caribbean sea glass that is silky is easy to tell from fake sea glass. I worry that it is not for others without years of experience. We use to tell people look for the "c' shapes then the fakes started creating fake sea glass with "c" shapes. Social media is also a good tool. The authentic sea glass folks tend to hang out together.
    Aug 29, 2016, 05:54PM
    Lisl thanks for reading. I agree the nuances of authentic versus fake sea glass can be very confusing, especially when it comes to glass from certain geographical locations like PR and Bermuda where the glass has that silky texture. If you had a jar of PR glass next to a jar of machine tumbled glass, you'd probably be able to tell the difference on sight probably at first glance but definitely on examination under a jeweler's loupe. The glint from a tumbler is a deeper cut and not the same as the "sparkle" from authentic Caribbean glass. Unfortunately (besides a jeweler's loupe), holding it in your hand is the best way to tell the difference and of course people buying online can't do that. I agree the best tool is the reputation of the seller.
    Aug 29, 2016, 05:47PM
    You're welcome and goodness sakes yes let's go to the beach! Especially if you're going to take me to the secret Great Lakes beaches where the world's best marbles come from ;)
    Aug 29, 2016, 05:23PM
    Hi Mary, Thank you for this carefully written article. I have some questions and feedback. I have been making sea glass jewelry with authentic sea glass for thirty years. I lived in Puerto Rico for fifteen years and that is where I got my start. You may already be aware of this but a lot of sea glass from Puerto Rico and elsewhere in the Caribbean has a very silky texture. Some of it is not at all frosty etc. I am often hesitant to share this information because I fear the fakers will exploit this knowledge and claim that their satiny fake sea glass is from Puerto Rico. I just want to point out for your readers that there is a such thing as authentic satiny sea glass. Also, could you elaborate more on the diamond glints that are created by artificially tumbling? Some very frosty authentic sea glass will also sparkle in the sunlight so i would like a better understanding. The nuances of authentic sea glass can be very confusing for people. I think the best tool is the reputation and the behavior of the seller. Thanks, Lisl Armstrong
    Aug 29, 2016, 03:29PM
    Thanks so much, Mary - I appreciate your correction AND you getting back to me - now let's go to the beach!
    Aug 29, 2016, 02:55PM
    Is there any empirical evidence at all to support the premise of racial equality?
    Aug 29, 2016, 02:29PM
    Actually Beth I totally agree with you. I shouldn't have used the term "beach glass" I used it in the way that craft stores use it, not in the proper definition for bay or lake found glass, and I apologize. It was brought to my attention in the Seaglasslovers Facebook page, and I made the change to the article right away so the term "beach glass" doesn't appear here anymore and I apologize for the initial oversight.
    Aug 29, 2016, 12:38PM
    I applaud your effort(s) informing the public of fake, non-authentic, non-surf tumbled sea glass. "There's nothing intrinsically wrong with (let’s just call it) beach glass, but the artists who create with genuine glass can't compete with those using those much less expensive materials”. However I have to take exception to your definition of "beach glass". The only difference between beach glass and sea glass is the pH factor in the water. I have lived my life on the shores of Lake Erie - we refer to our gems as beach glass, never looking at it as "substandard". I have owned and operated a business using beach/sea glass as my medium, have authored a book with several tutorials using beach/sea glass, an am an instructor at several art communities. In these classes I actually take the real and fake glass and have each student observe the difference(s). I am truly disappointed that you refer to this use as "craft glass". If you place an authentic piece of beach glass and sea glass next to each other, there would be no difference. My etsy shop "Beach Glass Shop" offers only authentic and surf tumbled glass from the shores of Lake Erie (with the exception of a few pieces of sea glass from the Caribbean). I am in the hope that you and others continue your quest informing the public of the scams using found glass, however I am also hoping that you understand that beach glass from the shores of Lake Erie and other Great Lakes holds its value as the same glass found on the ocean beaches. Beth Martin beachglassshop.etsy.com Beachglassshop.facebook.com
    Aug 29, 2016, 11:53AM
    I suppose the assertion that all whites are racist is subject to definitions. Some are, some not. I would emphasize that, according to your description, it's easy not to be racist. It's so easy, there's no distinction. Everybody can do it. So the necessity is to accuse the maximum number of your fellow citizens of racism to put yourself into the minority. The more racists, the smaller, hence superior, the tiny, embattled, never-giving-up band of non-racists. Thing is, nobody's believed this crap in decades.
    Aug 29, 2016, 08:50AM
    I guess the drop in crime under zero tolerance is inexplicable. Right? Ditto NYC post-Dinkins and pre-deBlasio. Boy, that's a toughie. One item which no doubt was cut for space reasons is that "crime" includes "murder". Various estimates suggest that zero tolerance slash broken-window slash stop&frisk saved thousands of lives in the minority communities. Not that there's any gratitude, any reflection, any cost/benefit, any consideration of why, exactly, all that stuff happens in minority communities. But, what the hell. They want it, they can have it. Except for, say, Heaven Sutton (aka "who") who didn't ask for it and didn't deserve it and nobody gives a shit because she didn't have the discernment to be killed by a white cop. Fuck this.
    Aug 29, 2016, 12:30AM
    Childe. I'm going to insult you presuming you're serious. I only like sports I participated in. Until recently, they were pretty obscure. Fencing, judo, lax. The latter gets a couple of hours tv time in the spring. So there's not much to watch. Not much to equestrian. The family runs to Infantry. Jeez, I feel so dirty. It's so....simple dealing with you. Okay. I'll relent. You don't really believe this stuff, do you? You're not that dumb. You're putting me on, not adding the sarc tag, right?